We love this cabbage and peanut salad for a few reasons. First, it's an easy way to get your fiber, protein, and healthy fats, in one sitting! Second, it doesn't require much time in the kitchen. Yes, we do ask that you allow the cabbage to sit for an hour - but you certainly don't have to sit with it! Feel free to run your errands, make your phone calls, or take a shower while your cabbage sits - we promise your kitchen won't go ablaze! Lastly, this dish is simply delish! See for yourself and follow our recipe below!
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 1 medium-sized cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 1/2 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 green apples, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds to taste
- Toss the salt and cabbage in a large bowl and leave for about 1 hour. This will allow the cabbage to expel some of its moisture and reduce bitterness.
- While waiting, roast the peanuts in a single later, in a skillet over medium heat. Occasionally toss until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, rice vinegar, lemon juice, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix and taste. Feel free to adjust ingredients according to taste. (remember: the cabbage is already salted so the dressing may not require much additional salt).
- Once the hour has passed, toss cabbage again with hands. Prior to serving, add scallions, apples, peanuts, and dressing.