'Tis the season to celebrate all things squash! Spaghetti squash, butternut quash, acorn squash.. you name it. While spaghetti and acorn squash will have their moments on this blog, tonight we're talking strictly BUTTERNUT - and specifically butternut squash pasta.
This dish combines naturally sweet and savory flavors - and I promise it's barely time consuming with my shortcuts (ie. you can use butternut squash puree if you don't have the time to dice and bake). While you can use whatever pasta you prefer, I recommend using chickpea pasta (ie. Banza) or red lentil pasta. Both of these are delicious high protein, high fiber pasta options.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups pasta, dry (chickpea pasta or red lentil pasta)
- 1 can organic butternut squash puree (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- On one stove top, begin to cook pasta according to directions on box.
- On another stove top, caramelize onions on medium heat until they begin to brown. While onions are cooking, put butternut squash puree and spices in blender. Once onions are cooked, add them to blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds or until ingredients appear uniform.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain water and place pasta in bowl. While pasta is still hot, add Parmesan cheese and mix together. Allow cheese to melt into hot pasta.
- Top pasta with blended butternut squash sauce. May top with additional thyme for aesthetic.