If you're anything like us, the Super Bowl is all about the commercials, an excuse to party on a Sunday, and the half time show. But Super Bowl Sunday all too often leads to a miserable Monday. Remember last year? That headache from one too many beers, that stomach ache from a chicken wing overdose... oh, and that spread of questionable chips and dips.
Believe it or not, there are ways to avoid the Monday food hangover. We are all about partaking in the festivities, but let's focus on making bets, catching up with friends, and most importantly, Beyonce.
The first step, like with any holiday or festivity that revolves around food, is to set yourself up for success. Number one rule? Do not go in starving! Have a healthy and filling breakfast and lunch so you have a clear head to browse the options and make a plate in a sensible, conscious manner. If you are ravenous walking into the Super Bowl party, you will start piling your plate with the first thing you see - healthy or not. Fill half of your plate with vegetable based options, leaving room for small portions of those foods you just have to try.
Vegetable based options at the super bowl?? That's where the responsible you comes in. If you are going to a friend's to watch the game, don't assume he or she shares your health goals. Offer to bring a salad, guacamole or hummus with crudités, or our light and filling white bean dip (see recipe below). Beans are high in fiber and protein, the two main components to keeping you satiated and satisfied.
After you make your plate and mix a drink, sit down and socialize! That's what you're there for, right?
White Bean Dip with Crudités (yields about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 12 teaspoon dried thyme
- 15.5 oz cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pinch of paprika (smoked or sweet)
- Chopped chives to garnish
- Whole grain pita bread, sliced bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and celery to dip
- Combine the first five ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour
- Transfer to serving bowl and drizzle olive oil, sprinkle paprika , and garnish with chives
Have any go-to healthy party recipes? Be sure to share with us!