If you've been following this blog for a bit now, you probably know that I love experimenting with unusual ingredients or atypical combinations. If you're landing here for the first time, well, now you're in on it too.
When making my usual after-work smoothie bowl the other day, I found myself thinking about how I could add more fiber without increasing sugar content, and without compromising the sweet flavor. Yes, I could add more greens, but that would create a tarter taste. Yes, I could add cauliflower (and that probably would have been perfect), but cauliflower smoothies feel like the new avocado toast these days, and that didn't make me feel like I was living on the edge. That's when I thought of adding cannellini beans! (because that's what everyone thinks of when they want to live on the edge, obviously). They're loaded with fiber and protein (1/2 cup has 5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein), they're bland enough that they adopt the flavor of the fruit smoothie - or any smoothie - without compromising the taste, and they would add some more volume - because whoever wants their smoothie to end!?
Here is the recipe for my cannellini bean & chocolate cherry concoction - highly recommend you try it. Oh, and I will DEFINITELY be experimenting with other fruit/vegetable flavor iterations of this bean-based delight, so stay tuned :)
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 cup unsalted, organic cannellini beans
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen dark and sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup organic soy milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- 4 I Heart Keenwah chocolate quinoa puffs (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon cherries (for topping)
- Set aside topping ingredients and add all other ingredients to blender. Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until contents appear evenly distributed.
- Pour mixture into bowl. Use your hands to crush quinoa puffs, and sprinkle on top of smoothie. Add remaining tablespoon of cherries for topping.