I've really been taking advantage of my favorite fall flavors and seasonal produce this year. Seriously - the stash of apples and pears that I keep in my kitchen could feel a small army. As the autumn air continues to cool (I just broke out my Fall coat last week which was bittersweet) I find that I crave comfort food. So naturally, I like to experiment and attempt to healthify my favorite foods - especially as I'm unable to spend as much time outdoors.
So this recipe is essentially the product of spending more time indoors and using up my stash of produce. But either way, this whole grain french toast + topping is a must try! I used Muuna cottage 2% plain cottage cheese for a creamier flavor and a boost of protein. Oh, and the sweet baked apples and pears speak for themselves!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 slices of 14 grain (or whole grain) bread
- 4 whole, organic eggs
- 1 cup plain, 2% muuna
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 bosc pears, halved and center scooped
- 2 macintosh apples, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup raisins
- Optional: add 1 teaspoon of granola, or handful of your favorite nuts
- Crack 4 eggs in large bowl and whisk together, so that mixture appears uniformly yellow. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon and mix contents again.
- Soak slices of bread in egg mixture until both sides appear evenly soaked. Note: you may soak one slice at a time or all together if bowl is large enough.
- Use non-stick pan and turn stove on medium-low heat. Place soaked bread on pan and cook until eggs appear to be cooked into bread (they should not be runny).
- Place cooked french toast on plate. You may serve all together, or individually. Top French toast with Muuna according to preference.
- Add baked fruit topping according to preference. Enjoy!