We may have created the simplest veggie burger recipe to ever exist (you're welcome)! Often, veggie burgers are grain-based, meaning they lack protein, which otherwise helps to keep you feeling full and satiated. These patties, however, provide sufficient protein via the black beans, egg, and ground flax, so you will actually feel full! We recommend making a big batch and freezing them, as these are always a good option when you're tight on time. Get creative with toppings: sliced avocado, hummus, dijon mustard, or a slice of cheese. They are great on a bed of greens or with a whole grain english muffin. Say goodbye to freezer aisle veggie burgers!
Ingredients (makes 4 patties):
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (we used a vegetable peeler and chopped into smaller pieces)
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose meat seasoning (we used a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and paprika)
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and mash together with a fork. The egg should make it easier to gel together
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to grill or saute pan and cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side
- Serve however you please!