This week we are all about finding ways to add greens to your dinner in new and delicious ways. On Monday we talked brussels sprouts, and today we're giving you watercress. If you're looking for a light and easy salad to start your meal, this is the dish for you. It is quick, easy, and super tasty. Watercress has an abundance of health benefits, including cancer prevention. Watercress has a high level of antioxidants that prevent your DNA from damage. It also contains high levels of vitamins A, C, and K, which is excellent for bone health. Watercress also provides chlorophyll, which helps block carcinogenic amines that are created when grilling meats at high temperature.
Mushrooms, a member of the fungi family, provide a meaty flavor and consistency to the salad. They help boost the immune system by increasing the killer T cells in the body which go after the bad guys. Mushrooms also contain choline, an important nutrient that aids in sleep regulation, muscle movement, learning and memory. It also helps reduce inflammation in the body. Never thought you could do so much for your body before getting to the main course?!
Ingredients: (serves 4 as appetizer or side dish)
- 3 shallots, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 pound oyster, crimini, or shiitaki mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half
- 5 oz watercress, cut and torn
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 ounces shaved parmagiano cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to sauté shallots and mushrooms
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons whine wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients besides the olive oil in a food processor and blend until evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Mix to create dressing consistency
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and add mushrooms, sliced almonds, and sliced shallots. Cook about 7 minutes until tender and the shallots are browning
- In a serving bowl, transfer the mushrooms, shallots, and almonds and add the watercress. Mix together and add a dash of salt and pepper. Option to top with shaved parmigiano cheese.
- Dress lightly, toss, and serve
*You can also dress lightly with simply 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper