Here we go, week three. Time to get serious with healthy fats, colorful veggies, herbs and spices. Don't forget to share your skin loving meals using #TovitaNoFilter.
1. Get friendly with fats. We’re talking avocado, fatty fish, nuts, and seeds. These healthy fats reduce inflammation and strengthen cell membranes for softer, younger looking skin. The high omega-3 content in fatty fishes like salmon help to prevent clogged pores, fine line formation and wrinkles. Fish also contains the mineral selenium, which helps to prevent sunburn and maintain an even skin tone. If you like to nosh on almonds or sunflower seeds, your skin will thank you. The vitamin E in sunflower seeds and almonds slows down aging of skin cells and can aid in diminishing scar tissue.
2. Boost the beta carotene. This is the antioxidant that gives the orange, red, and yellow pigment to vegetables - AKA load up on the carrots, sweet potatoes, and bell peppers. For an extra boost of fiber, leave the skin on your sweet potato. We recommend baked sweet potatoes with a teaspoon of coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon!
3. Spice it up. Quit lathering your meat and vegetables in sugary or salty marinades and sauces that cause dehydration and puffiness! Instead, play around with different herbs and spices to create unique flavors that are inherently low in calories. Though you may need a breath mint after, garlic contains high amounts of cysteine, an amino acid that can help stimulate hair follicles to grow stronger, thicker hair. Chili, paprika, cayenne and jalapeño add a kick to your meal while providing vitamins A and C, which prevent the breakdown of collagen. Research also shows that these spices may help to increase your metabolism! Lastly, turmeric is a nutritional powerhouse. It has powerful anti-inflammatory benefits due to its high component of curcumin. Try our recipe for turmeric popcorn!
To give your skin some extra love during the dry winter, try our Tovita Glow Salad:
- 4 cups spinach or kale
- 4 oz baked salmon (baked with slices of lemon, rosemary and thyme)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ cup raw cucumber slices
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Dress with 2 tablespoons avocado dressing (recipe below)
Enjoy ½ baked sweet potato with a dash of cinnamon on the side!
Avocado Dressing (makes ~1 cup)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 avocado, peeled pitted, and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blend until smooth and creamy and keep refrigerated.