It's always fun to concoct recipes with ingredients that are in season. In our kitchen, Fall means apples, squashes, and pumpkins... you know the drill. Since yogurt with fruit is already a highly regarded breakfast go-to, we decided to kick it up a notch. This pumpkin-banana yogurt bowl requires minimal prep time and highlights some of our favorite autumn flavors. Pumpkin offers a bevy of nutrients; one cup of canned pumpkin provides well over 100% of your daily needs for vitamin A and 20% of your daily needs for vitamin C. Pumpkin is also an excellent source of the antioxidant beta-carotene which helps to prevent certain types of cancer, strengthen immunity, and promote fertility.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 6 oz nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, halved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or nutmeg)
- optional: 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- In medium bowl add yogurt, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix until ingredients appear evenly distributed.
- Slice banana into ~1/4 inch thick "chips." Place half of sliced banana chips into the serving bowl.
- Slowly pour the pumpkin-yogurt mixture on top of the sliced bananas in the serving bowl. Once covered, add the remaining banana slices on top of the mix. Add the halved walnuts on top.
- Optional: drizzle the teaspoon of agave nectar on top for sweeter taste. May sprinkle cinnamon on top for decoration.